Wednesday, March 11, 2009

A Rickshaw Poem



I Came across this poem the other day that was printed in the Hongkong Telegraph on Tuesday, September 4th 1923. It’s by Tom Fenwick (who I know nothing about) and was warranted good enough to print then though is perhaps interesting now for details of rickshaws and some pidgin English. It’s also got a familiar refrain about foreigners out in Asia for the first time resisting using rickshaws (usually spelt without a ‘w’ on the China coast) – you read this a lot – believing them to be akin to slavery. But most seemed to eventually get over this and start using them.


I’m not enough of a poetry expert to say if it’s good, bad or indifferent but it caught my eye for the historical value all the same. It has a sense of the Kipling about it I think who probably inspired more than one average amateur poet in the East and seems to follow the rhythm of Kipling’s Gunga Din (1892) somewhat with a repeated refrain in the last verse and seems to scan best if you read it in that style.


The Ricksha Boy

By Tom Fenwick


You hot, perspiring human horse,

I marvel at your bliss.

Are you sad or glad to force

Your bread from men like this?

To grunt and run and pant and sweat

Beneath a burning sun

Your plantain plate of rice to get

When all the sunnings done.


For it’s “Chop-chop” up in China,

And it’s “lekas” in Malay.

While it’s “Juldi Jao” in India,

The burning livelong day.

You grunt and run and pant and pull

To reap your rich rewards;

Your blessings are as bountiful

As strings on monochords.


When I came East I could not ride;

It seemed all wrong to me

I walked, and let them all deride

The cause with “jeu d’esprit.”

But custom is a cunning past;

E’en princess she will beat.

And now you pull me with the rest

Along the dusty street.


And it’s “Chop-chop” up in China,

While it’s “lekas” in Malay.

And it’s “Juldi Jao” in India,

The burning livelong day.

I often wonder when you die,

And leave that sweated shell,

If you will ride, beyond the sky,

Or drag one still in hell!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The very bestDiablo 3 Gold of these is what he or she message or calls "The Shanghai Illusion", such as which the area continues to be symbolized and also misconstrued throughout so many methods with materials, movie etc, who's is becoming "virtually unviewable preserve Guild Wars 2 Goldthroughout the fictive scrim of their mythologizers".

Kalpana said...

I enjoyed that poem. Glad to have come across your blog. Have linked this blogpost to one I wrote. Thank you